Here is a list of the most basic and important responsibilities in Player Development.
Feel free to copy, paste, and use these ideas in the Job Descriptions for your Player Development team. If we are missing anything, drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Summary of Responsibilities
The main responsibility of a Player Development professional, regardless of title, is to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a casino property’s very best players and provide services to them to build player loyalty and increase the number of visits or amount played (or both) from among those guests.
In order to do this, a PD pro must also develop and maintain strong working relationships with key allies throughout the property and in the community to ensure players have the experience they expect while gaming and to generate leads for new business.
Job Description for Casino Host, Executive Host, Player Development Executive
Here are the basic job functions in for everyone in Player Development (not necessarily in order of importance):
- Establish and maintain positive customer relationships with players who meet property criteria (and with those identified to have the potential to reach that level of play)
- Maintain contact with coded players as appropriate to generate return visits and provide exemplary service.
- Interact with players in person on property, as well as via telephone, e-mail, text message, and written correspondence
- Represent the property as a role model of customer service and professionalism
- Effectively use out-bound phone-calls to keep contact with players that have not visited the property, and to market VIP parties and events.
- Network among coded players to build relationships among the best customers and to generate leads for new high-worth players
- Learn about and tailor services to guests’ preferences, likes and dislikes
- Resolve player issues, whether real or perceived, to the guest’s satisfaction
- Find the right balance in every situation between the guest’s desires and the property’s rules, regulations and guidelines (There is always a way.)
- Invite players to events, tournaments, shows, etc., according to their interests
- Make hotel, show, dining and other reservations and communicate same to guest
- Issue complimentaries or other offers to guests as play and property guidelines warrant
- Host special events, player parties, property promotions and other activities as needed
- Provide information to team and property leadership related to guest feedback, suggestions, concerns or issues
- Maintain confidentiality of information about both customers and property; share carefully
- Participate in brainstorming and planning sessions for Player Development program
- Prepare and submit reports on activities as directed, complete and on time
- Strive to achieve and exceed goals and metrics/objectives
Job Description for Player Development Manager
A Player Development Manager has 5 main responsibilities:
- Grow the business; set and monitor achievement of goals and metrics for the team in alignment with the property’s business objectives.
- Regularly review and re-code the players to focus the PD team on the highest potential.
- Coach the hosts on how to improve their skills, grow their business, and meet their goals.
- Resolve guest issues when they have to be escalated to management.
- Manage the team, the budget, the reporting, and the logistics of events.
If you are a Player Development Manager (or other team leader) you are responsible for:
- Setting SMART Goals and metrics for each host and for the team (with a stretch!)
- Monitoring pace toward goal achievement
- Analysis of coded and potential high-worth player data
- Assigning/coding players to hosts
- Coaching staff as needed
- Regular and consistent communication with all direct reports
- Preparing and submitting activity and departmental reports as assigned
- Attending meetings as a representative of the Player Development team
- Participating in brainstorming and planning sessions for marketing
- Implementing programs, events, promotions, etc. for the Player Development team
- Providing assistance for marketing events as required
- Resolving player issues, real or perceived, when host is unable to do so
- Setting an example of excellent customer service